Homework


Please send $5 by Tuesday for the Giant City field trip by tomorrow. Thank you!

HOMEWORK-
Math-ST MATH (if you can)
Reading- Read 30 minutes/worksheet on main idea
Science-none
Social Studies-None
Writing-None





Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Welcome to 5th Grade!

We are so excited you are here!  This year you will rotate, as a class, between three different teachers. We'd like to introduce ourselves.

 
 I'm Bethany Jenkins, the reading, spelling, and English teacher in our 5th grade departmentalized team. I've been teaching for 12 years, with 11 years in District 95. I am an avid reader, and I love to share my love of reading with my students. We read novels, picture books, articles, and lots more in my class. My favorite part of teaching reading is hearing all of the different ideas and opinions students have about the books we read.


 
My name is Jennifer Liss and I have been teaching 5th grade for the last 21 years in Carbondale District #95.  There is no place I would rather be.  I am part of a departmentalized team and I will be your child's science, social studies, and health teacher this year.  Our main units in science will be Matter, Earth's Systems, Space, and Animals & Plants.  Our focus in social studies is American history.  I believe students learn best when they are doing, so we will do many experiments and projects this year.  I'm looking forward to a great year!


 I am Heather Vaughn, originally from Carterville. This is my twelfth year teaching and seventh in Carbondale District 95. I will teach the math and writing classes to your children. They are some of my favorite things to teach.

I have been a part of the RAMPD UP math grant for the last seven years. I have learned many different strategies and techniques to share with my students. The grant has paid for many resources such as manipulatives, games and math literature. I will include several math links that you and your child can utilize on this blog. 

In our writing class we learn to be exceptional storytellers, so that means that I will also be sharing some of my stories. I am sure that you will get a laugh out of some of the stories you will hear about me. They usually involve animals…something in which I am terrified of.
I am excited to start our year! Can’t wait to meet you all!!!

 

My name is Katlynn Dodd and I will be student teaching with Mrs. Jenkins this semester! I have been working with Mrs. Jenkins since January. I have previously worked with 3rd, 7th, and 8th graders. I enjoy our reading workshops because I am able to see students share their ideas with their peers and develop new thoughts from the discussions. I am very excited to be student teaching this semester and to be learning from the students! 




 My name is Nikki Julian and I will be student teaching with Mrs. Liss this semester.  This is my second semester with Mrs. Liss and I love teaching with her!  Like Mrs. Liss, I believe students learn best when they are doing fun, engaging, hands-on, activities! I'm looking forward to all of the exciting things we have planned to make learning enjoyable and memorable for your student.  My goal at the end of each day is for each student to leave the classroom with a smile on their face and a new piece of information in their brain! I'm very excited for this journey ahead of us.